Maple sugarhouses in Clinton, Essex and Franklin counties are ready to welcome visitors from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the March 19 to 20 and April 2 to 3 for NYS Maple Weekends. Visitors who collect stickers or stamps from at least six of the sites will be entered into a drawing for a maple gift basket to be awarded April 12.
Pancake breakfasts are begin offered all day all four days at Maple Brook Farm in Essex and from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. all four days at Parker Family Maple Farm in West Chazy. Pancake breakfast will be served on Saturday, March 19 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Moon Valley Maple in Malone and from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. at The Wild Center in Tupper Lake.
In Clinton County in West Chazy:
- Bechards Sugar House will offer tasting of their favorite maple recipes.
- Not far away, Brows Sugarhouse makes maple brittle.
- The Deno Family Sugar House is offering free samples of maple cream and candy as they make syrup.
- Parker Family Maple Farm offers horse-drawn wagon rides and has maple cotton candy and creemees.
- Sacred Roots Maple in West Chazy will offer sleigh rides and samples as the sap boils.
Elsewhere in Clinton County:
- Brandy Brook Maple Farm in Ellenburg Center is planning a new maple winery.
- Decoste Maple has a new wood-fired evaporator in use at their new sugarhouse in Mooers Forks.
- Homestead Maple in Chazy has supplies for backyard sugarmakers and will demonstrate how to make your own maple soda.
- Rand Hill Maple is a large-scale operation to see in Altona.
In Essex County:
- Taste warm syrup samples fresh from the evaporator at Black Rooster Maple in Keene.
- Tours at the Cornell University Uihlein Forest in Lake Placid include information on maple, birch and walnut syrup research and production.
- Horse-drawn tours at Maple Brook Farm in Essex illustrate the history of maple production from bucket systems to vacuum tubing.
- Try fresh doughnuts and maple cream at Maple Knoll Farm in Minerva, where they offer guided sap to syrup tours.
In Franklin County:
- Take an interactive tour of the sugarhouse at Moon Valley Maple in Malone.
- Paul Smiths College maintains a certified organic sugar bush, educational sugar house, and commercial maple operation in Paul Smiths. At the Visitor’s Interpretive Center, maple and birch syrup are made over a wood-fired evaporator.
- The Wild Center in Tupper Lake has a maple project in full swing and offers tapping tours.
- Winters Harvest Sugar Shack in North Bangor is the ‘home of the Maple Jack BBQ Sauce’ and makes syrup just the way their grandparents did.
- Try the hands-on sugaring demonstration in the sugar bush at Woods Maple Products in Chateagay.